Nice, fellas. A fucking confession signed at gunpoint.
-Not just a confession.
-A suicide note.
[on expanding her career to become a film director] It is more satisfying. You are more of a participant in the conception. I like having control. I think I have the capability. I’m a storyteller and an artist and I love what I do. So I want to be part of it more and not just show up and say my lines.
…this is a woman who has built her identity on her looks, and on what she’s been told to do. So what you’re getting is someone who married this man, and he gave her everything, and she did what she was told, and she is basing her self-esteem on her looks, and that’s very, very rocky ground… Betty’s life is a performance. She’s acting all the time. And she doesn’t know how not to do that. - Matthew Weiner discussing Betty Draper
The New Jim Crow
1. Ferguson, Missouri has a population of approximately 21,000 people — roughly 75% of those residents are Black
2. The Ferguson police department has around 530 cops —less than 5 of them are Black
3. Ferguson had *zero* homicides for all of 2014 —until Michael Brown was murdered by Darrin Wilson
4. Things you should know: Five Myths About Black-on-Black Crime
5. Michael Brown was 18yrs old and was about to begin college. Brown had no criminal record, and despite the Ferguson PD’s smear campaign, Mike Brown PAID FOR the cigars —those facts are all important and should be known, but even if Brown was a high school dropout with prior arrests who stole the cigars, 1) it wouldn’t have made his life any less valuable, 2) we have a court system and those are not capital offenses and 3) it doesn’t change the fact that the cop who killed him, Darren Wilson, had no idea about Brown’s personal history when he executed Brown. Wilson saw only a Black teen deemed either “too uppity” or “suspicious” because of his skin color
6. Five examples: The Militarization of the police
7. It’s deeply Institutional: Police view Black Children As Less Innocent
8. So please - don’t get it twisted